Monday, September 1, 2008

The gifts we bring

The translator who worked with me all three days brought me a handbag on the last day. He said his wife made it, but I later heard rumors that many of the locals bought the gifts they gave. A handbag like that goes for $25 American. The average monthly household income in PNG is $100. As for me, I brought no gifts for anyone. To be honest I didn’t even think about it. When I was frantically packing back in San Diego, the thought never crossed my mind. For the rest of my outings while aboard the Mercy I made it a point to bring at least some small item to give as a gift.


The San Diego congresswoman Susan Davis visited the ship during the earlier part of the mission before I arrived. Apparently she had gotten many calls and complaints from her constituents who were upset that they could not get appointments because their doctors from Balboa Naval Hospital were away on this trip. She said she wanted to see for herself how American tax dollars were being spent, given that they were pulling resources away from her community of taxpayers and voters.



My point is how easy it is to lose perspective. I don’t think the naval hospital patients in San Diego, myself, or our Congresswoman are bad people. No one could fault any of us for how we acted. However, when we look at the larger view our actions seem perhaps less than noble. Maybe it’s OK to wait to see your dermatologist or to see a different one for a while if it means some people in a village in PNG can get basic medical care. And maybe it’s better to bring gifts instead of extra workout clothes and protein powder when you visit a new part of the world.



--pete

No comments: